Wednesday 8 June 2011

Life

As weird as it might seem the things in life that hurt us the most make us stronger. The friends we have, the things that happen to us, we all have all kinds of variables in our lives for a reason. Living life without hardships is like not living at all, there would be nothing to learn, no experiences to gain and nothing to learn to grow on. The classic phrase of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" is actually not a bad slogan. Lemonade is great but it takes those lemons to make it. Realizing how life works is a charm in itself, it's not just a concept learned in Sunday school but instead it's something that has to be experienced. Understanding the "why" about "why things happen" is a crucial part of being able to find happiness. "Why" do things happen to us? Knowing that in the end everything that happens to us in life is all for our own benefit helps the "why" become more understandable. This is pretty random to be writing about but really something to think about throughout life. Understanding the reason for all things good and bad really can help change even the smallest minute of your day. I'm so thankful for the gospel and the impact it's had on my life, it has helped guide each step of the way. Life is much easier with the understanding of the gospel and the blessings it brings to our lives. I'm grateful for everything Heavenly Father has blessed me with, my family, my husband, my friends, my apartment, a car, the food on our table each night, a good job, and even the small things in life that get overlooked or taken for granted.

Just today, I passed a man today that looked like he was hauling every belonging he had with him on the side of street. I stopped at a light and passed a young adult begging for money. I drove past boarded windows of foreclosed homes. I watched a sheriff handcuff a male adult. I noticed the trash in the streets and graffiti that surrounded them. I saw on the news the devastation in Japan. I read about our countries mixed politics. And after all of this, it brought me to think, how grateful I am for every little detail of my life.

One of my favorite people, who is now deceased had several quotes I love and I want to share them. She was the prophet's wife and was a great woman, her name is Majorie Pay Hinckley.

"The grand and the simple. They are equally wonderful."

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

"...Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time. Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and engery. Do them with enthusiasm. Do whatever you have to do this week with your whole heart and soul. To do less than this will leave you with an empty feeling." (this is one of my favorites)

"The trouble with the world and the trouble with you and me is that we don't love each other enough. And if we do, we don't bother to show it, or we don't bother to say it. If the world is to know love, it has to be in your heart and in mine."

"As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for your or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey."

One of my favorite books by Majorie Pay Hinckley is called "Small and Simple Things", if you haven't read this you should definitely pick up a copy! It's a short read, literally like a quote book but it has been one of the most influential books I've read. This book keeps me down to earth and always helps me remember who I am and why I'm here.

<3

1 comment:

  1. Hey I've been wondering how you two are! I dropped by on fb and found this link. So happy to see you have a blog and that Vegas is treating you well. I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete